When it comes to decorating my Christmas tree I really don't have one particular vision in mind I just kind of go with a theme and let the decorating take over. I don't stress over the exact space between each ornament or if the larger ornaments are at the bottom. Obviously that might make some people crazy but I just kind of go with it and see where I end up. I have had so many people ask me how I decorate my Christmas tree so I thought it would be helpful to put together a list of my must-haves in order to create a beautiful tree for my home. If you haven't already, you can read about our current holiday decor down below.
- Lights - If you have an artificial tree it probably is pre-lit which is nice but if you love to have a lot of lights it doesn't hurt to add a few more lights of the same kind or maybe some that twinkle. Lights are what gives it a magical feel.
- Build your ornament inventory - I have a very large tree so I make sure to have various sized ornaments that will help fill the tree. I love a full tree and having larger sized ornaments helps me not to have to buy as many ornaments because they take up more space.
- Add elements other than ornaments - ornaments are important but ornaments alone are not going to get you a wow factor. Other elements you can incorporate are mesh, ribbon, bows and floral sticks. This will depend on the theme you are going with for the year.
- Don't be afraid to mix and match - I have never been a person that likes to match everything because I believe in mixing and matching. It adds interest, it makes your tree unique and it's a way to showcase your style. Not everything has to be the same color or the same ornament. Don't be afraid to do something different.
- Add scent - My parents used to buy a real Christmas tree when I was younger. I still remember the day my mom decided to switch to a artificial tree - I was in college and I felt betrayed. After years of buying a real tree, it just made more sense to purchase an artificial tree because it lasts longer, always looks perfect, and its so easy to take out whenever you want. Having said that, I still like to pretend like we have a real tree. I like to buy scented ornaments you can stick in your tree for fragrance. I also always have some kind of pine/woodsy scented candle to burn which helps add to the Christmas experience.
I hope you guys have fun decorating for the holiday season! Here is a before and after of our tree last year. If you are on the hunt for a good looking tree, Home Depot has a great selection. Click here to view the tree we purchased.